Tuesday 3 December 2013

On Crtitical Writing on Art, Design & Media


My revivability of writing was actually begun last semester when I started MfA after the long absence of words in my bachelor school. Parts of the credits supposed to go to J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit, which came back to me by the hype from the film, and George R.R. Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire that regained my reading habit, which also influenced on my writings later. (Tolkien was always the one who influenced me in writings since I was young, but that time it was Thai translation of his works. This time, it’s direct response by his words.)

I never really have much problem with writing itself in the first place, especially considered that my monologue usually in English. (I have a strong habit of talking to myself out loud, which draw strange eyes from people sometimes…) The usual obstacle’s what to write, as I used to have no clue of what to write about my works in the past, since they were all thinking visually. But when it comes to how I write, it appears to me the same with speaking, thinking out loud, just with different medium, one with vibration of vocal cords, one with movement of hand.

Anyway, the result of that was the writings I wrote usually appeared in the only style of free writing and interpretative writing which is my current practice. The class did expanded types of writings for me to write. Different workshops introduced me the new boundary, to know my new scope. Also let me know how to summarize and analyze the readings. Previously, I usually read for pleasure, so I didn’t carefully do those much often even though I did some analyze on it.

The expansion also totally helped me in current practice, since I’m working on writings and trying to introduce a new kind of writing myself. I am able to see the distinctions and elements of each kind of writings in order to reflect on my own writings.

No comments:

Post a Comment